View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzle
GlobalRemedy
Sergeant of the Guard

re: SC 12 man Draigoch strat ** spoiler **

re: SC Dragon Strat **** SPOILER *****
by GlobalRemedy on 09 Nov 2011 01:34 pm

edited 11/11/11 to reflect additons from Nov and Geld.

So this is the beginings of what will be the Southern Cross strat for 12-man Draigoch.

This guide will go thru several edits as we get all the inputs from El and the test team added, this guide at start is just a written record of how Drizzle percieved the fight as happening and is based on what people said and did and what EL wanted to happen. The 12-man has not yet been done in an SC raid and so a portion of this strat is just extrapilation from our debrief with EL of the fight last week and the week before and from strats on the net, member comments ect.

*** The small questline to open this raid up starts outside the south gate of Galtrev before you go around the turn and down the hill, then a few trips to nars peak and up to Draigoch's lair. ***

SC Draigoch 12-man version: 1

Terms and conventions:

PTG primary tank group: ( The Shield ) usually one tank type and one healer often guard/ward and captain. Everyone in the PTG always follows the shield.

STG secondary tank group: ( The Skull )usually consisting of one tank type and one healer often guard/ward/champ and a captain. Everyone in the STG always follows the skull.

DPG dps group: ( The Sun ) everyone else not in PTG for phase 1 and everyone but PTG and STG in phase 2. Everyone in the DPG always follows the sun.

Area's of the lair:

The entry passage: a long winding passage where the dragon can one shot you with fire.

The top ring: The upper-most ring around the main floor it goes all the way around the chamber and has platforms that look out onto the floor at various positions like around 9,12,,3, and the 6 oclock positions, these platforms is where the PTG and eventually the STG will tank the dragons head at.

The middle ring: this is the middle ring that goes around the main chamber this is the level you kill the upper paws from.

The bottem ring: this is the bottem most ring around the main floor it has openings out onto the main floor and this is where you kill the bottem paws at.

The main floor: This is the big area out in the center of the lair, this is where you goto to fight and get FM's on the dragons body when it falls to the floor, this is also where phase 3 of the fight takes place, remember to exit the main floor as soon as the dragon flys up for the last time before his death or you will die.

There are several passages that lead up and down between the levels there are some from the top ring to the bottem ring and back, and there are passages that lead from the bottem ring to the middle ring and back.

Draigoch attacks:

Coin spray attack: This happens on the main floor sometimes mosty all you can do is group up and stand still, its not to bad.

Collapse attack: happens when there is nobody in front of the dragons head to catch aggro, draigoch thrashes around collapsing the chamber onto your heads, damage stops when aggro is re-attained, use pots bubbles heals ect to survive untill PTG or STG gets aggro on the head again.

Fire breath attack: A really nasty fire breath attack that one shots or does nasty damage and heats up piles of coins in the area leaving a fairly nasty damage over time effect on the area( you can see the coins still glowing if they are still super-heated) .This attack has several implications depending on the phase. During the run-down you use the search-light gaze to avoid the breath weapon or die. During phases one and two the PTG and eventually the STG as well will have to deal with issues of staying out of the breath weapon and its lasting dot effect. And During phase 3 the dragon will fly up and breath fire, this is countered by everyone ( DPG,PTG,STG ) moveing to under the dragons tail when he flys up, watch for super-heated coins afterwords though as your moving around.

During the paw/foot killing stages: there are two other types of attacks as well there is a fire puddle attack, which can be avoided just by staying out of it and a distributed smash attack, this second one can hit really hard to targets not grouped tightly, so IF YOU DONT SEE A FIRE PUDDLE GROUP UP TIGHT AT MELEE RANGE, hunters snd healers too plz.

Phases of the fight:

*** plz note not all people in the raid can see the actual value on the draigoch health bar ***

Phase 1: 9million+ morale to 6.4 million morale > Only the PTG is on the top ring tanking STG is with the DPG for this phase. The PTG will reset to 9 oclock each time the dragon rises up again.

Phase 2: 6.6 or 6.4 million morale to 2.3 or 2.2 million morale > Draigoch says " Breath is Death " or something like this. Both the PTG and STG are active for this phase with the PTG resetting to 9 oclock each time and the STG opposite at 3 oclock upon reset when draigoch flys up from the floor.

Phase 3: 2.2 million morale to Death > both PTG and STG JUMP down to the main floor with one of the two tank groups becoming main tank for the head in phase 3. During this phase the whole main floor is surronded by a ring of fire, this is why the tank groups jump down, if you get caught outside the ring of fire go up to the top ring and jump down from a tanking platform.

Ok on to the strat:

Upon entering the lair you must make your way down a winding serpent style passage with openings that look down onto the whole chamber to a platue with a collapsable bottem in the back. As you make your way down you will see the searchlight effect of the dragons gaze looking thru the openings, this search-light gaze will be followed by a swift round of nasty fire breath if anything is spotted in the openings. So just time your moves between openings useing the gaze as your timeing que for when to move again and make your way down to the collapsable area (you are safe in this area before and after the collapse till the fight is started anyway).

Once the floor has enough people on it, it will give way and everyone can make there way around to the tanking platform in the upper ring at around 9oclock position, there will be a glowing chest there DO NOT TOUCH OR GO NEAR THE CHEST untill the tank in the PTG is asked to start the fight. Once everyone is buffed and ready the raid lead will take the DPG down to the position below the PTG, follow the sun unless your in the PTG. Once in position the raid lead will ask the PTG to start the fight.

When the PTG starts the fight by touching the chest the tank will grab aggro on the head and back towards the back of the platform where the healer can hit him while keeping out of LOS of the dragon, while the PTG has aggro the DPG will around and kill the paw and feet, remember if there is no fire puddle group up very tightly in melee range for the distributed attacks. When the dragon moves he will turn his head one way breath fire then move the otherway, the tank will call out "HE TURNED RIGHT GO LEFT" or "HE TURNED LEFT GO RIGHT", his group (PTG) will run the second direction called quickly, these calls need to be fast, crisp and LOUD so that everyone knows how to run, the DPG will follow the sun. As you get the 4 paws killed the dragon will fall to the floor and the DPG will move out onto the main floor to dps and FM the dragon body, the FM's change and must be entered in order. Ideally the FM's go in 2 per time the dragon is on the ground. Once the dragon body has had enough of the DPG beating on him he will fly up, the DPG will run off the main floor to the bottem ring, follow the sun. The PTG will reset to the 9 oclock position. this will repeat untill the phase change at around 6.4 million morale. When the dragon body goes to the floor the last time before phase change the raid leader will call for the STG to move up to its position opposite the PTG, Reset position for PTG is 9 oclock and 3 oclock for the STG in phase 2.

When the dragon phases to phase 2 he will rise up and say "Breath is death" or something like this at this point both the PTG and STG should be in reset spots 9 and 3 oclock. The dragon will fly up to one of the platforms ( 9 oclock if coming off the floor ) and be engaged by the tank group that is there, if there is not a tank group there he will start a collapse attack, both tank group will move left one platform as fast as they can to get aggro on the head. The DPG will move into position and kill the paws, follow the sun. When the dragon moves in phase 2 the tank will call out "Dragon Moving" or "GO LEFT GO LEFT" both tank groups will move one platform left re gardless of how the dragon moves. Phase 2 always move left for both tank groups. The DPG will always move left and down then around and back up if on the top paws and to the side if on the bottem paws, follow the sun. If at anytime in phase 2 if the head is untanked and a collapse attack starts both tank groups will run one spot left to get aggro again. if the tank dies and her captain does not have a rez up she can step in and tank the head if needed to stop the collapse attack or if a move is called for he should move to the left as called for so that he can fill in for his tank, while someone comes up from the DPG group to rez the tank. As the paws go down the body will fall to the floor, the DPG will run out on the main floor and dps and FM the dragon body. Both tank groups will return to there reset positions 3 and 9 oclock. Be ready to move quickly off the floor when the dragon flys up again, follow the sun. Repeat this process untill phase change around 2.2 million morale. There are conflicting reports about what FM's are good after the 12 needed for chanllange are entered some people switch to GGGBB or repeat the twelth FM in the challange mode chain.

Once the dragon phases to phase 3 he flys up says " Come face me you cowards " or some such thing and then lights up a ring of fire around the main floor, the DPG needs to be out on the main floor before the fire ring hits or must get to the floor by running up to the top ring and jumping down from a tanking platform. The PTG and STG will JUMP down to the main floor where the STG will join the DPG and the PTG will engage the dragons head. The DPG will kill front claws first then back. Stay grouped up tight on the sun unless you are PTG there are many distributed stomp attacks. Occasionally during the fight the dragon will fly up everyone move to the sun where the dragons tail was even the PTG runs under the tail, the dragon breaths fire, watch out for the lasting super-heated coins effect and the coin spray attack at various times as well, once he comes down repeat, As you get all four paws killed the body will fall to the floor for dps'ing after a fly up or a fall down, PTG on the head everyone else on the sun kill front then back paws and repeat untill dragon flys up to die, RUN out of the main floor into the bottem ring area and live. go back to main floor and loot, gl on the chests.

Please note for challange mode there is a series of 12 FM's that must be entered in order onto the dragons body when it falls to the floor, your raids burg or raid leader will kepp you abreast of what FM you are currently doing and what if any is your spot in this endeavour. To this end the Burglars for this run should trait the Quiet Knife capstone and the Disable trait. The capstone will give you the ability to use Trip outside of stealth, which is good, as you cannot stealth in the presence of the dragon (you need the One Ring for that, apparently ). Other things you need to have are Marbles, the best that you can get. If you don't have a Weaponsmith, ask in Kin or check the Kin AH. Those are a great way to get in an extra FM every 15 minutes, which is approximately every three body drops.

*** A few things have been reported to cause the dragon to bug out forceing a restart, none of these have been confirmed by anyone i personally talked to but there are many posts out on the web mentioning these and some i didnt list because they were not echoed by multiple sources ***

Starting an FM at the exact moment or just after the dragon starts to get up from the floor.

Killing a paw just as the dragon flys up to move.

The head of the dragon getting aggro on a RK's stone or an LM pet and bugging on it.

Drizzle

Last edited by GlobalRemedy on 2011/11/22 4:22 pm; edited 4 times in total
Novariel
Novarielle
Freeperson

Very nice strat quide Drizzle. The phrase for phase 3 is "Stand and fight me you cowards".

Unfortunately i wont be able to go this weekend, but i wish all of you the best of luck!!
Geldarion
Geldarion
Guardsman

Good strat, a couple of notes.
1. Nov is right about the third phrase
2. A clarification on the first phase, he moves right or left, breathes fire on that side, then moves to the other direction.
3. A clarification on the second phase, he always resets to 9 o'clock, just like in the first phase. It is to what platform he goes next that we don't know, as it is random.
4. In the third phase, he flies periodically, even when the paws are not killed. When the paws are killed, it triggers a fall to the floor.
5. I have read that the last 4 FMs (which take away 5% of his health) still work after challenge mode has been completed, so we can do any of those again.

On the FMs, I think that getting two off at each crack at the body are important, so after the paws have been weakened with the first 4, we should make an effort to slow down dps, because the cooldowns probably won't be done in time. I would like to try to get in the first 8 FMs in the first phase and the last 4 in the second phase. During the body phases, it might be a good idea to just autoattack, so we can get the FMs in. We only have 80 seconds each time the body is down, but the phase transitions are triggered by health thresholds, so I think we can get them all in before the third phase easily if we just don't rush it.[/u]

Guardsman

As discussed last night, the Burglars for this run should trait the Quiet Knife capstone and the Disable trait. The capstone will give you the ability to use Trip outside of stealth, which is good, as you cannot stealth in the presence of the dragon (you need the One Ring for that, apparently tongue out ). Other things you need to have are Marbles, the best that you can get. If you don't have a Weaponsmith, ask in Kin or check the Kin AH. Those are a great way to get in an extra FM every 15 minutes, which is approximately every three body drops.

Lore-masters might consider traiting Keeper of Animals so they can use the Bog-lurker, as it has a skill with a chance to start an FM. This fight is not a DPS race, and in a 12-man, the extra healing would not be bad.

Captains should trait two Leader of Men in addition to Hands of Healing. This will allow for Kick to have a chance (albeit lousy chance) of starting an FM.

Guardians can also trait for opening up FMs, but I'm not sure it will be feasible in this raid. I have a level 22 guardian, so I know essentially nothing about the class. The options that are available to a guardian are Fray the Edge (especially with the trait Final Straw) and To The King (which is a legendary trait and needs a parry response, but that can come from Overpower and Forced Opening. Experienced guards, please look at the options and let me know what you think, as I am really curious about the options here.

That is all I can think of when it comes to traiting for FMs. Let me know if anyone thinks of any more.

Thanks,
Geld

Thanks Geld helpful points. we must direct people this way to read them.

I found for me it is good to bubble myself when the dragon does his fire burning through the hall stops me from dying. I also up my Vitality that helps and it is a easy heal up there once you are aware of what you are doing. Thanks for the hand holding guys Happy hugs Andi.
Novariel
Novarielle
Freeperson

I would like to add that it is possible for ONE tank to successfully tank the head in phase 2. Instead of the head-bobbing in phase 1, he will put one of his claws on the tanking platform indicating where he will go. I have recently done it in a PUG with a tank who had never done Draigoch before at all, and he got it down really quick.

It seems like one of the cappies should always throw up revealing mark on the legs in all phases to make it easier on the healers and prevent people dying too early in phase 3(preferably with the 5 piece set of course). The other captain should have telling mark at 10% to increase incoming dps (especially on the body). With just one burg in the dps group, i agree that the dps group should take their time, so the FMs can be popped as early as possible. As you can pop the last one as often as you want there is no such thing as too many FMs :P

It seems like the only part where 12 mans struggle compared to 24 mans is phase 3, cause everybody is taking more dmg, taxing the healers a lot more. So if you have morale gear i would suggest using it for that part. 4k for any class wont do :/ Remember if one of our healers for example goes down in that phase, we wipe in seconds. I agree with cappies going HoH (+2 yellows) to help their main healers as much as possible.

I am sure that we'll get it next weekend! :D
C U in Middle-Earth
Andismak
Leader
High Warden

I had seen a youtube Vid of a warden doing the 2nd phase alone as well Nov. Thanks for the hints. They are excellent Happy Andi
Drizzle
GlobalRemedy
Sergeant of the Guard

re: dragon tell vid

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?432125-Draigoch-Tier-2-Tanking-Tell-Video

vid of dragon directional tell

drizz
Drizzle
GlobalRemedy
Sergeant of the Guard

re: mini tank third phase vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4zRI1T2dhk&feature=related

mini to the side phase 3 vid

drizz
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern Cross Forum Index -> Raid Info All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: