View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mythinos

re: Guardian Discussion

I didn't see any topics here, so I thought I'd start a discussion about Guardians!

My first question is; Do Guardians make a good solo class?
Vilmer

Dipence on Build

Footman

Just started a Guard. He is lvl 34 and seems to do well by himself. Takes a while to kills multiple mobs when equipped with a shield.

I'm starting to reconsider how I have my skills laid out in the UI. Can other Guards give any advice on how you group your skills in the quick slot bars?

Do you group all your aggro skills together?

How do you line up the gated skills?

Guardian's make an excellent solo class. 1-30 seem like a bit of a haul but are crutial as you'll want to build up your tanking traits with Swords and Board. From then on out its quite fun using Overpower and a two-hander to push around your opponents (Note: That is does take away from your survivability; in regards to shield stuns, incoming damage and the like).
SharkB
Freeperson

re: Re: Guardian Discussion

Mythinos wrote:
I didn't see any topics here, so I thought I'd start a discussion about Guardians!

My first question is; Do Guardians make a good solo class?

Guards make a great solo class, gameplay is straightforward and with decent gear you need to be specially careless to die.
You do kill mobs slower, but you should not think too much about that anyway.
Geldarion
Geldarion
Guardsman

re: Guardians are (sorry) boring

It may just be because I started with a champion and a hunter, but I cannot seem to get into my guardian. I played him to 22, and now he stays in Thorin's Hall as a permanent resident to make armor, etc. Do I just need to get to a certain level to really kick into a faster gameplay speed, or am I stuck with low hits that disappoint?

Geldarion

Master Guardsman

re: But not the most boring ;)

I too started the game with a high powered toon, a hunter. I kill faster soloing content with my LM than I ever did with my guard. However I do not find the guard to be boring in the least at lvl 65 although I understand it can be at times when solo leveling zones. You will never kill as fast on a guard but you have to remember the fact of that not being their role. It is much more fun to level in a group as a guard (and mini too).

I found the warden and the runekeeper to be extremely boring, mine still sit at 18 and 25 respectively.
Puddles404
Esquire

I started the game as a Guard way back in the days when you could mine from Horseback, and they have changed a lot since then. Overpower and a decent 2hander can make a BIG difference to how quickly you can kill things, and it is VERY noticeable when you pick up OP and the first couple skills for it, something that becomes even more true post-50 when you have access to LIs and the 5KB Legendary Skill as well as bonuses from that trait line.

Soloability, they are a damn fine class. Able to laugh off most pulls that would crumple other classes and the ability to Turtle like a mo-fo if needed make solo-ing a breeze. Limited self heals and poor range makes soloing elites harder, but still possible with a bit of thought.

In regards to hotbar setup;
Main bar is isolated skills (GW, Sting, Sweeping etc)
Alt+ bar is Block reactives
Ctrl+ bar is Parry reactives
Shift+ bar is OP skills + TTH (Take to heart, power restoration and OP is kind of a given)
I generally kept my Oh Sh*t buttons grouped together to the right side of the Ctrl/Alt bars, until the plugins came along now i have them in a seperate cluster between the chat box and the docked quickbars.

Starting Feb 28th I went from level 1 to 65 in 5 weeks, saw my first death at lvl 32 (in my defense, I got distracted by wife aggro). My guard is just shy of 3 months old and I think I can tank any instance.

Soloing is alot of fun. I usually grab 3-4 mobs at once. I used to switch out traits to reds for soloing, but I dont even do that anymore. I just leave it traited blue and bash away.

I <3 my GRD
Andismak
Leader
High Warden

I am new to being a guard and i am curious as to how you guys keep the aggro.

I run in and challenge to get the mobs attention then use vexing, shield blow, guards ward, then i get what ever reactives come up then i follow that combination again.

Does that sound right or should i be doing something else? thanks guys Happy
Elassar_SC
Esquire

Sounds good andi.
Just use our shield reactives and I also use Whirling Retaliation whenever i can as it takes agro from the group and stacks it onto the tank. Also use engage.

Also traiting defender of the free is going to increase the threat of your shield skills.

See this link i found that gives some tips:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?312778-Guide-to-Threat-Aggro-and-Guardian-Skills
Andismak
Leader
High Warden

Cool Thank El should listen to you you steal the aggro from me all the time. . I dont have engage yet though isnt that a level 60 skill?
Puddles404
Esquire

Shield Taunt and Litany of Defiance go a long way to building aggro and Whirling Retaliation goes a long way to maintaining it. Changes in the last year have made it less effective (the aggro drain requires fellows to be in short range, previously it worked off the mobs themselves iirc). Challenge is useful, but I prefer to save it for if I can't lock down aggro quickly at the start of a pull.

My opening rotation is usually pull with Shoot>FTE then GW>Vex>Sweep>LoD>Shield Taunt>Shield-smash (yes, I actually trait Shield-smash). The only hiccup is when the Vex and Sweep miss due to mobs sliding past (early heals and Hunters do this to me all the time), and that's usually when I use Challenge. Engage is possibly one of the handiest skills to have waiting around. If you pop Challenge, everyone can go hell for leather for 10 seconds and all you need to do is Engage and it jumps you back to the top of the threat list.

Engage should be 50ish. It was brought in well before Moria.

Just got engage at 42 so i can play some more. Thanks for the advice. Happy
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern Cross Forum Index -> Guardian All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: