View previous topic :: View next topic  
Narnian

re: Questions from new Captains?

We are blessed in this kin with talented Captains, among them no less than our fearless leader TG, along with Stan, Iso and others. New folks to this amazing class probably have a lot of questions. Here's the place to ask!

Anything you want to know about Captains, ask in this forum and we will try to give you good answers and advice.

/salute, my fellow Captains!

Esquire

My cappo is in his early thirties and I'm liking it so far...not as much as burg or warden, but he's as fun as LM is to play. My problem is deciding what traits to run. I like having my herald out while solo and i'm currently traited to use him a a mini tank but i'm finding my dps to be rather slow. I have the best halberd for my level but I'm thinking that the only way to up my dps is to retrait and lose the hearld for a banner. Any advice?

Master Guardsman

I never could run a herald very successfully, however I was levelling my capt in 2008 and the heralds seem to have been rather improved since then. After about a week of leveling using a herald I stopped and have never used one since. It was very hard to control and often got me killed, . This doesn't mean I am advising you not to use one, to each his own, but I can say you can level quite successfully without a herald.

I think you need to look at how you intend to run your capt once you're at cap and make sure you have the traits you will need completed at that point. Knowing that most raids expect capts to be off healers and you could often be the only healer in many 3 man instances, it would suffice to say that your HoH trait line is a very important one to complete. Since the last changes quite a few have tried a hybrid LoM/HoH trait set but I don't know with how much success. I would like to hear more about that myself if anyone can comment.
Isofir
Officer
Sergeant of the Guard

When I was leveling my cappy I stuck with the herald until nearly 50. I thought that it was doing enough damage and I stuck with it. In retrospect (not knowing the real capabilities of the banner) I would have equipped a banner. The lvl 35 critted banner of war gives +20% to melee and +10% morale, in addition the the might and agility that an equal level herald gives . So if your herald isnt doing at least 20% damage as what your toon is then you are not doing all the damage possible. Earlier banners give 10%/10% respectively.

Bear in mind that the cappy isnt a true DPS class and that your kills can be a bit slow, but the trade-off is in having heavy armor (yes the cappy can tank), making your group stronger, healing, and still doing a fair amount of DPS.

My cappy is not even a year old. I didnt make it my until after leveling up a hunter (my first main), LM, minnie, champ and RK. I now consider cappy my main. Its a blast to play Happy
Isofir
Officer
Sergeant of the Guard

Valandan wrote:
it would suffice to say that your HoH trait line is a very important one to complete.

Have to agree with Val on that. I trait HoH exclusively. I know some cappies would disagree with me but I find it the best all-purpose trait line. Especially since I am not soloing as much as I use to, I have all the traits/deeds I need, and even solo it still gets the job done.
Malandan
Valandan
Master Guardsman

Isofir wrote:
I now consider cappy my main. Its a blast to play Happy

Agreed, mine became my main as well. A whole lot of fun to play. I will say my Guard is a strong second and catching up though!
Narnian

I've read in the LOTRO forums about the new LoM "healing" trait line, but there are too many blue traits I cannot be without. HoH is still the way to go.

Just by leveling (am now 59) I have completed all but one HoH, and all but 2 LtC, but LoM is also very very important to complete, seeing as it looks like captains will be using that in BG soon.

I used my herald up to about lvl 50 myself, and then started using banners, depending on what I felt like. I traited mostly reds for most of my leveling, and atm am traited HoH because of grouping more and more.

No, you'll never deal a great amount of DPS, but especially in groups it's an awesome class, and more fun to play than most. My burg is still my main, but cappy is quickly getting more and more fun, the more I'm able to use her in groups.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Southern Cross Forum Index -> Captain All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: